Lifting Chain Slings and Lifting Chain
At Bishop we supply all manner of different chain slings. Lifting chains (multi-leg) or a lifting chain (sling leg) are available in grade 8 and grade 10 alloy steel as well as grade 6 stainless steel. Explore our range and select from many different options for length of lifting chain as well as capacity, end fittings and shorteners. We can supply slings with standard sling hooks, C hooks, self locking hooks or swivel self locking hooks, to suit your exact requirements. All slings supplied by Bishop carry a 4 to 1 factor of safety and are fully compliant with EN standards. Furthermore, you can rest assured that every sling we provide is supplied with an EC declaration of conformity. Custom slings are available upon request and we can even supply grade 12 chain and components.
Safe Use of Chain Slings
Slings must be stored and handled with care by following safe slinging practices. Lifting Chains should be fitted in such a manner so as to avoid sharp edges wearing into the chain,. Moreover, the correct load factor must be applied. Chain slings and accessories should be inspected before using and before placing them into storage.
. Shorteners can be used to adjust leg length and there are several different ways of basketing a sling.
When Multi-leg chains are used, the angle used must be related directly to the Load factor. Please see below for guidance.
Advice for Use of Lifting Chains
- Do check the condition of the slings before each load.
- Do check the chain legs are not twisted.
- Do check that the load is on the centre of the hook and not on the tip.
- Don’t use the sling over the maximum working load limit.
- Don’t load with the convergence angle over 120°.
- Don’t shock load.
- Don’t use Grade 8 chains in pickling or acid baths.
- Don’t submit the chains to heat treatment.
- Don’t utilise the chains and accessories outside the temperature range –40° and +200°C.
For more information on the Grade 8 slings please visit https://www.gtlifting.co.uk/products/grade-8-chain-sling-chart/
If a polyester lifting sling is more appropriate for your needs you can view our range of polyester webbing slings here.